15 May 2009

Its dark out there

I am hurting this morning from lack of sleep after being up all night/morning chasing turtles. I had the 11pm shift last night followed by the 3am shift this morning. Ramon helped with the night shift and Steven with the morn. Thanks Guys!

So here is the scoop: Turtle 1 has gone terrestrial and is hunkered down near a rock between turts 3 and 5 which are in the same location since yesterday. Turtle 4 is still in the reservoir. Turtle 7 has ventured out from the sanctity of the rock levee and has moved north in the the vicinity of turtle 2. Turt 7 is on the north side of a jumble of rocks in a shallow burrow with its posterior exposed.


Turtle 1 hunkered down





Location of turtle 7







Kat- here is the photo of diggings near turt 3. Her location is just above of the top of the photo under the mass of sticks.


Other wildlife- The Great-horned Owl was very vocal along with a pair of Western Screech Owls. At least one Violet-green Swallow was heard vocalizing during a sustained (5 minutes +) flight around 4am. Their calls started during my conversation with the Western Screech Owls. While tooting to the owls, the swallow (I presume since it was dark) flew within three feet of my head, then vocalized on the wing above. Not sure what that was about.

2 Comments:

At May 15, 2009 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Steven said...

Remember the flags on the last two locations (I think 2 and 7). We don't want to get too close for comfort by accident. Oh Rodney, were you flashing your high beams at me?

 
At May 15, 2009 at 1:53 PM , Blogger R Olsen said...

Thanks Steve. No high beams, just shutting off my fog lights that I turned on to scan the road.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home