12 February 2010

Turt Trapping Trial #1


Was wildly unsuccessful. I think the turts were laughing at me. I put the basking trap out for 5 hours today (and even added some delicious catfood after the first hour), but it is definitely in need of some modifications. I'm thinking it would be much more ideal to be able to 'cover' the trap when not actively trapping, thus the turts would get used to it and could still use it as a basking platform. Then, when needed, we could remove the 'cover' and hopefully the turts would blunder right in. It's an idea, anyway. So. No turts caught in the trap today, although I got a glimpse of turt #2 basking on one of the snags with 3 other untagged adults.


During the many hours I had to wander around, I also managed to re-tag and bee-dot Turt#3 (still by the old pumphouse). Turts 1, 7, and 5 are still in their burrows.





OHHHH. And guess who is back in the HP Swale? The one-eyed wonder, Chip.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home