12 April 2009

12 april 2009 - Kat learns many valuable lessons


So this was my first solo day observing/tracking the turts and it turned out to be a very educational day, indeed.

Lesson 1: 2 people with mad telemetry skills are far more efficient than 1 person with mad telemetry skills.
--> This was a 5 hour day for me.

Lesson 2: The batteries used to 'light up' a hotwire for an exclusion area (in say, someone else's research area) are apparently cyclic and give off a pulse that sounds exactly like the pulse from a turtle transmitter. Exactly.
--> Yes, I spent over an hour stalking the ever elusive all-weather battery. I was not a happy camper.

Lesson 3: Apparently, if you glue on a transmitter upside down, you get a very weak, pathetic signal - even if the turt is 25 feet away from you and completely out of the water.
--> The ultimate failure if you are the doh-head dumb enough to have tagged this particular turt (yep, that would be me).

In other news, the 3 girls we located last night were all still in their burrows. One decided to take a walk while I was stalking the battery and headed ~20m downhill from her original locale. Also, 2 untagged/unmarked turts were seen in the HP swale today, so watch your backs, dudes. I'm coming after you next.

1 Comments:

At April 16, 2009 at 1:29 PM , Blogger Janeothejungle said...

Woot. I think I'm off the hook. Current theories are that either a.) the transmitter is just weak OR b.) the interference we get at higher freq. is interfering with the reception of the tag...... Maybe not such a doh head after all (well, in this particular matter, at least).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home